Saturday, January 27, 2007

Reflections on The Big 40

I spent my spare time last week editing and putting together the video taken during The Big 40 celebration held last June 2-4 in Berkeley Springs, WV. Mr. Rob Monkey shot the video during the trip and gave it to me to transfer to the computer and burn to DVD. I apologize to all my fellow Big 40-ers for taking so long to get to the video. Between moving and starting a new job this is really the first time I’ve had a chance to get to it. I also needed to make room on my computer to handle the video. I purchased a big external hard drive to get over that hurdle.

Once I had the space on the computer, I thought, why not take the time to edit it and put together a real keepsake of the occasion. After watching the entire tape, I saw that it only captured certain moments of the trip. This was no fault of Rob’s, because all of us were there to enjoy our time together, not to worry about getting every single second on video. I did see that many of the photos could help fill in the gaps of the video.

In the finished Big 40 video, there are two photo montages set to music. I have to tell you, that when the edited video ends I feel a little “veclemped.” Lago and I screened it the other night and she echoed that sentiment. The video looked great on our widescreen and the regular tube TV.

I had wanted to post a low resolution version on the web, but I feel that wouldn’t do it justice. I hope to get DVDs out to all the Big 40-ers within the next couple weeks. It’s too bad we can’t all get together and watch it.

Spending so much time working with the video, it was almost like experiencing the trip all over again. I think when the idea was first presented I felt a little hesitant about traveling to West Virginia, and also what it would be like for all of us to be together at the same time after all these years. Now looking back, I hope we have more get-togethers like this in the coming years. Perhaps I’m getting more reflective as I get older, but it’s those fleeting moments that make life worthwhile. Here’s to 41 – all ya’ll!

No comments: